Fossil free Aviation in Northern Sweden
- a feasibility study
Within aviation there is a need as well as a will to replace traditional jet fuel with fossil free alternatives. But in order to be able to do this more knowledge about how to do this shift is necessary. The project Fossil Free Aviation in Northern Sweden is a piece of this regionally, nationally and internationally important work.
The overall goal of the project is to identify and clarify what measures that are necessary in order to reach the overall national targets regarding the development of fossil free aviation as well as strengthen the access to, from and within northern Sweden. In order to achieve this the following activities will be carried out within the framework of the project:
- Identify the conditions for realising value chains from sustainable raw material for aviation via electric, hydrogen and biofuels in northern Sweden, as well as develop proposals for activities to remove obstacles.
- Develop a compilation of knowledge about the conditions for biofuel, electricity and hydrogen in connection and at airports.
- Identify the need for ground-based measures in connection and at airport in order to achieve fossil free aviation based on different fossil free alternatives.
- Prepare an action plan for the introduction of a regional electric network based on a case study of an electric airline between Umeå and Östersund.
- Develop methods to strengthen demand for biofuel for aviation.
- Make available and disseminate the project’s conclusions and insights for benefit throughout the country.
- Develop a comprehensive regional roadmap for a fossil free domestic aviation.