- Yan, C., Zhu, L., Wang, Y., 2016. Photosynthetic CO2 uptake by microalgae for biogas upgrading and simultaneously biogas slurry decontamination by using of microalgae photobioreactor under various light wavelengths, light intensities, and photoperiods. Applied Energy 178, 9–18. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261916307875 Link to publication
- Zhu L, Li Z, Hiltunen E. 2016. Strategies for lipid production improvement in microalgae as a biodiesel feedstock. BioMed Research International, Article ID 8792548, https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2016/8792548/abs/
- Zhu L, Yan C, Li Z. 2016. Microalgal cultivation with biogas slurry for biofuel production. Bioresource Technology 220, 629–636. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852416312494
- Zhu L, Li Z, Guo DB, Huang F, Nugroho Y, Xia K. 2017. Cultivation of Chlorella with livestock waste compost for lipid production. Bioresource Technology 223, 296–300. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S096085241631361X
- Zhu L, Nugroho YK, Shakeel SR, Li Z, Martinkauppi B, Hiltunen E. 2017. Using microalgae to produce liquid transportation biodiesel: What is next? Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 78, 391-400. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032117305981
- Zhu L.-D., Hiltunen E., and Li Z. 2017. Using magnetic materials to harvest microalgal biomass: evaluation of harvesting and detachment efficiency. Environmental Technology, DOI: 10.1080/09593330.2017.1415379
- Zhu L., Li Z. and Hiltunen E. 2018. Microalgae Chlorella vulgaris biomass harvesting by natural flocculant: effects on biomass sedimentation, spent medium recycling and lipid extraction. Biotechnology for Biofuels 11: 183. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-018-1183-z
- Zhu L., Li Z., Hiltunen E. 2018. Theoretical assessment of biomethane production from algal residues after biodiesel production. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment (SCI, IF 2.889), DOI: 10.1002/wene.273
- Lage S, Gojkovic Z, Funk C, Gentili FG. 2018. Algal Biomass from Wastewater and Flue Gases as a Source of Bioenergy. Energies 11: 664; doi:10.3390/ en11030664.
- Lage S, Gentili FG. 2018. Quantification and characterisation of fatty acid methyl esters in microalgae: comparison of pretreatment and purification methods. Bioresource Technology 257: 121-128.
- Zhu L, Li S, Hu T, Nugroho YK, Yin Z, Hu D, Chu R, Mo F, Liu C, Hiltunen E. 2019. Effects of nitrogen source heterogeneity on nutrient removal and biodiesel production of mono- and mix-culture microalgae. Energy Conversion and Management 201: 112144, 2019.
- Liu H, Chen Y, Yang H, Gentili FG, Söderlind U, Wang X, Zhang W, Chen H. 2019. Hydrothermal carbonization of natural microalgae containing a high ash content. Fuel 249: 441-448.
- Niemi C, Lage S, Gentili FG. 2019. Comparisons of analysis of fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) by chromatographic techniques. Algal Research 39: 101449.
- Lage S, Kudahettige N, Ferro L, Matsakas L, Funk C, Rova U, Gentili FG. 2019. Microalgae cultivation for the biotransformation of birch wood hydrolysate and dairy effluent. Catalysts 9: 150; doi:10.3390/catal9020150
- Niemi, C., Gentili, FG. 2019. Extraction technologies for functional lipids In Rajauria, G., Yuan YV (Eds.), Recent Advancements in Micro and Macroalgal Processing: Food and Health Perspectives. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Two of Liandong Zhu’s research papers above were featured by the Renewable Energy Global Innovations (REGI) in Canada:
Strategies for Lipid Production Improvement in Microalgae as a Biodiesel Feedstock
Cultivation of Chlorella sp. with livestock waste compost for lipid production
- Katarina Martonen 2017. Cultivation of microalgae in wastewater – water treatment and biomass production. Master’s thesis in Technology, University of Vaasa https://www.tritonia.fi/fi/e-opinnaytteet/tiivistelma/7886
- Janni Lohiraja 2018. Understanding marketing system for algae based biogas. Master’s thesis in Marketing Management, University of Vaasa https://www.tritonia.fi/fi/e-opinnaytteet/tiivistelma/8143/Understanding+marketing+system+for+algae+based+biogas
- Calle Niemi 2018 Comparison of Analytical methods for FAME-quantification in microalgal biomass. Matser Thesis in Molecular Biology, Umeå University. The thesis work was performed at SLU with Francesco Gentili as supervisor.
- Frida Sandberg 2019-2020 ongoing. Microalgae from three different genera for combined
- waste-water treatment and pigment production Master Thesis in Engineering Biotechnology, Umeå University. The thesis work is performed at SLU with Francesco Gentili as supervisor.
- Nuortila C, Lage S, Niemi C, Gentili F. Lipid and fatty acid production by microalgae Scenedesmus cultivated in different parts of municipal wastewater.
- Nuortila C, Peltomaa E. Scenedesmus short-term nutrient removal efficiencies in municipal wastewater under variable light and temperature conditions.
- Berg P. Sustainable business models for macro algae based biogas / biodiesel.
- Berg P, Mouazan E, and Makkonen H. Designing network value propositions in complex circular business models: the cascading value mapping tool.
Evaluation of various biomass feedstocks by using thermogravimetric and online gas analysis. TransAlgae Authors: Wennan Zhang and Ulf Söderlind, Mid Sweden University. Link to publication
Fast hydrothermal liquefaction of native and torrefied wood. TransAlgae Author: Wennan Zhang, Mid Sweden University. Link to publication